This simple yet satisfying plant-based haggis recipe is the perfect vegan alternative to ordinary haggis. It uses common store cupboard products and is quick to prepare at around 10 mins. The rest of the time is spent in the oven which leaves you plenty of time to celebrate the life of Burns with your friends and family.
- 400g cooked organic speckled green lentils
- 275g organic pinhead oatmeal
- 30g organic sunflower seeds, chopped
- 1 large organic onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large organic carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 handfuls of organic brown mushrooms, finely diced
- 400ml vegan stock (plus more water if needed)
- 1.5 Tbsp of yeast extract
- 20g plant-based butter or margarine
- 1 level teaspoon of organic black pepper
- 1 level teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Using the margarine, fry the onion and carrot in a pan for 5-6 minutes.
- Then add the finely diced mushrooms and cook for further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, nutmeg, black pepper and stir over the heat for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F).
- To the pan, add the pinhead oats, yeast extract and vegan stock, and cook for 15 minutes on a low heat, stirring regularly. The mix should thicken nicely, but if it becomes too thick add a little more water.
- After 15 minutes remove from the heat and stir in the chopped sunflower seeds.
- Transfer the mix into a greased loaf tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes. To give the haggis a nice crust, increase the heat slightly towards the end of the cooking time.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to stand for five minutes.
- Serve alongside mashed organic neeps and tatties and top with our recipe for Vegan Whisky Sauce (optional).