In our recipe we use wholemeal flour instead of white and Muscavado sugar instead of white sugar.
We are not using eggs or dairy either, so no butter or margarine.
The recipe is also free of fat, and therefore lower in calories, and also excludes salt.
For a more traditional looking treat, you can top the buns with crosses made of thin strips of natural marzipan.
Dairy Free | Egg Free | Nut Free | Vegan
Cuisine British | Skill Level Newbie | Time < 15 mins | Serves 12
- 500g of strong wholemeal flour for 100% wholemeal buns
- 1 Tbsp ground mixed spice
- 50g dark Muscovado sugar
- 1 Tbsp or 7g dried active yeast
- 150m filtered water
- 150ml almond milk
- 50g mixed citrus peel
- zest from 1 orange (optional)
- 250g marzipan, to make marzipan crosses (optional)
- Mix the flour, mixed spice, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the almond milk and the water.
- Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture, mixing to achieve a smooth dough consistency.
- Knead for 5 minutes, then cover the dough with a clean cloth, put in a warm place and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- After an hour, knead the dough again to get rid of any bubbles.
- Add the raisins or currants, mixed peel and orange zest if using, knead lightly again and leave to rise for another 1 hour.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment, or very lightly grease it. Divide the dough into approximately 12 pieces and roll each into a ball. Put them on the baking tray, slightly flatten each bun and then score a cross onto the top of each bun.
- Bake the buns at 180C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you want to add marzipan crosses then use thin strips of marzipan and place them on the top of the buns just before the buns are cooked, returning them to the oven for just 3 minutes.
- If you would like glazed buns, make a syrup by heating 2 Tbsp of sugar and 2 Tbsp water together over a low heat and brush the syrup all over the buns as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve warm, straight out of the oven!