Apple and cinnamon are a winning flavour combination, so when a cake comes along that is also vegan and gluten-free, what’s not to like. Simple to prepare with ingredients you’ll probably already have, so go on and give it a try!
Time 30-60 mins | Skill level Newbie | Serves 8
|100g of Medium Polenta|
|500ml of vegan dairy free milk of your choice|
|pinch of sea salt|
|2 tsp cinnamon (optional), plus more for sprinkling|
|4 small or 2 large apples, thinly sliced|
- To start, cook the polenta. Bring the liquid (water or vegan milk) to the boil. Add the salt and cinnamon if using, then cook the polenta very slowly, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, or until the polenta thickens.
- Preheat your oven to 175C or 350F or 150C or 300F if you have a fan oven.
- Prepare a round loose base cake tin by either greasing it, or lining the base with greaseproof baking parchment. Fill the cake tin with cooked polenta, spreading it evenly.
- Add the apples, by arranging them as shown in the photo below, then sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely if you can, then run a knife around the cake to make sure it is not sticking to the sides of the cake tin before releasing the base.